Kalo te përmbajtja
  • EN
  • SQ
  • IT
  • FR
  • ES
  • DE
  • EL
VA-NEWS VA-NEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Sport
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
LIVE
Navigation

VA-NEWS

  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Sport
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
Shortcuts
Home Latest
LIVE
Gjuha
  • EN
  • SQ
  • IT
  • FR
  • ES
  • DE
  • EL

Search news

  1. Kryefaqja
  2. Football
  3. FIFA executive Kevin Lamour departs amid backlash over Infantino’s World Cup sale plan
Football

FIFA executive Kevin Lamour departs amid backlash over Infantino’s World Cup sale plan

• August 18, 2026 • 4 min read
◉ WhatsApp 𝕏 X
News

Kevin Lamour has left his role as FIFA‘s chief operating officer weeks after he claimed Gianni Infantino‘s controversial World Cup sale plan had “deceived” administration at the governing body.

Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed on Monday in the latest domino effect of Infantino’s proposal to sell stakes in a company to run the World Cup to private investors.

The plan by the Swiss supremo was rejected by three continental confederations before it was withdrawn and led to UEFA’s threat to boycott all FIFA competitions.

During the infancy of the crisis, Lamour told the Associated Press that FIFA’s administration had been “deceived” by Infantino, who remains under extreme pressure after three confederation presidents accused him of “deception” in an open letter published last week.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a spokesperson said.

Read more:Bonnie Tyler is remembered as worldwide star at her Welsh funeral

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.

“No further comment will be made on the matter.”

The Press Association understands staff were told in an email by FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom of Lamour’s departure before his work and role in improving relations with a number of stakeholders in the game was praised.

Lamour’s exit occurred on the same day Infantino lost the support of the Scottish Football Association.

The governing body’s chief executive Ian Maxwell said on Monday: “The Scottish FA will not be voting for Gianni Infantino. That’s in line with the UEFA position and we’ve maintained that stance throughout.

Read more:Chawinga sisters combine against Algeria to send Malawi to first WAFCON final

“When you’re an administrator in football, you shouldn’t be anywhere near the camera anywhere near as often as has been the case.

“Something has gone wrong if the focus after the most successful, the most well-supported World Cup, that every Scotland fan who was there will be talking about for the rest of their lives, has now become off-the-field incidents rather than on the field.

“That can’t be where football should be. It’s got to be focused on the game itself and on the relationship with the fans.

“There’s obviously been a fall-down in governance, there’s been a lack of transparency, there’s been a lack of engagement with member associations, and that’s something that we need to address.

Read more:Barred Somali World Cup ref ‘grateful’ for Super Cup shot

“The transparency and the governance need to change.”

The SFA’s president, Mike Mulraney, is the current chair of FIFA’s finance committee.

Pressure on Infantino continues to mount and PA understands the intent of an open letter which accused FIFA’s president of deception last week was to give him the opportunity to resign.

If Infantino refuses to resign, one option for his opponents could be to find a candidate willing to stand against him in next year’s Congress.

However, advocacy group FairSquare is calling for a different approach and has written to FIFA questioning Infantino’s right to even stand for re-election.

Read more:With their assault on science, Trumpists aren’t just harming America – they’re harming themselves | Jan-Werner Müller | The Guardian

Before the 2022 World Cup final, a FIFA press release said its governing council agreed with its governance, audit and compliance committee (GACC) that Infantino’s reign between 2016 and 2019 – when he succeeded Sepp Blatter at an Extraordinary Congress – did not count toward the maximum three-term limit set out in Article 33.2 of the FIFA Statutes.

FairSquare was supported in its letter by Miguel Maduro, the former chair of FIFA’s governance committee, who told the Press Association on Monday: “2027 would be his election for a fourth term of office, and it seems to me that the wording of the provision runs clearly against that.”

FairSquare’s letter has been sent to FIFA’s review committee, which is a sub-committee of the GACC and is empowered to make decisions on the eligibility of presidential candidates.

Maduro said: “I’m still hopeful that at least some members of the review committee will not accept to be part of what I think will be a charade if they consider him eligible, and in addition to that I hope that the football associations that oppose him make this the central point.”

Read also
Football

Wrexham thought ‘job done’ before Cardiff draw in EFL opener

Football

Doc details turmoil for Pep, players in Manchester City swoons

Tags: #Associated press #comment #Fifa #Gianni infantino #Has #Private #review #The Best of

Journalist

From the same category
  • Wrexham thought ‘job done’ before Cardiff draw in EFL opener
  • Doc details turmoil for Pep, players in Manchester City swoons
  • Cardiff 1-1 Wrexham (Aug 17, 2026) Game Analysis – ESPN
  • Rodri arrives in Barcelona ahead of ‘dream’ move from Man City
  • Nigeria sack Madugu after WAFCON exit, World Cup miss
From the same tags
  • What legacy do we leave behind when we die? As Sam Neill taught me, it’s more about sweetness than ego | Clarke Gayford | The Guardian
  • How the far right is tightening its grip over the EU – from the inside | Alberto Alemanno | The Guardian
  • As Ebola kills thousands in DRC, a perfect storm is making the virus hard to stop | Devi Sridhar | The Guardian
  • Disabled creatives like me are behind many of your favourite shows – so why has our work support been withdrawn? | Annalisa Dinnella | The Guardian
  • My generation had no voice on Brexit – but Burnham gives the young fresh hope | Ceira Sergeant | The Guardian
Similar articles
Football

Wrexham thought ‘job done’ before Cardiff draw in EFL opener

Wrexham boss Phil Parkinson complained over the amount of added time after Rubin Colwill’s last-gasp free kick gave…

• 9 hours ago • 3 min read
Football

Doc details turmoil for Pep, players in Manchester City swoons

Pep Guardiola clashed with his captain and almost broke down in tears as he railed at players during…

• 9 hours ago • 3 min read
Football

Cardiff 1-1 Wrexham (Aug 17, 2026) Game Analysis – ESPN

Rubin Colwill scored a ferocious equaliser with almost the final kick of the match to earn Cardiff a…

• 11 hours ago • 3 min read
VA-NEWS VA-NEWS

Modern portal of reliable, independent and multilingual news. Accurate information, every day.

  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • News
    • World
  • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Football
  • uncategorized
  • © 2026 VA News. Made with ♥ in Albania
    ⌂ Home ◷ Latest

    Powered by
    ►
    Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
    None
    ►
    Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
    None
    ►
    Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
    None
    ►
    Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
    None
    ►
    Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
    None
    Powered by