Kalo te përmbajtja
  • EN
  • SQ
  • IT
  • FR
  • ES
  • DE
  • EL
VA-NEWS VA-NEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Sport
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
LIVE
Navigation

VA-NEWS

  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Sport
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
Shortcuts
Home Latest
LIVE
Gjuha
  • EN
  • SQ
  • IT
  • FR
  • ES
  • DE
  • EL

Search news

  1. Kryefaqja
  2. Football
  3. USMNT cannot appeal Folarin Balogun red card, he could face extended World Cup ban – sources
Football

USMNT cannot appeal Folarin Balogun red card, he could face extended World Cup ban – sources

• July 2, 2026 • 2 min read • 👁 3
◉ WhatsApp 𝕏 X
News

The USMNT has no route to appeal the red card issued to Folarin Balogun in Wednesday’s round-of-32 win against Bosnia and Herzegovina, sources have told ESPN, meaning the forward will miss the World Cup round-of-16 clash against Belgium.

And Balogun could yet face an extended suspension if FIFA‘s disciplinary panel regarded his challenge on Bosnia’s Tarik Muharemovic as warranting more than the automatic one-match ban issued with World Cup red cards.

Qatar midfielder Assim Madibo had his one-match ban for a red card extended to five games by FIFA after Canada‘s Ismaël Koné suffered a broken leg in a challenge during the Group B tie earlier in the tournament, but sources have said no decision has yet been made as to whether to review the length of Balogun’s suspension.

Article 66.4 in the FIFA disciplinary code states “if a player or team official is sent off as a result of a direct or indirect red card [for a second yellow card], they will automatically be suspended from their team’s subsequent match.”

Read more:Harry Kane passes Pelé World Cup goals total

Rule 10.5 also specifies that further penalties can be added, but FIFA sources have said that there is no route to appeal a red card at the tournament.

Sources added that the VAR review is regarded as the first appeal of an incident as offences are immediately reviewed by the match officials.

Balogun, 24, is the United States’ leading scorer in the tournament so far with three goals for Mauricio Pochettino‘s team, including the opener in the 2-0 win against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Santa Clara.

But a red card issued by Brazilian referee Raphael Claus in the 64th minute following a VAR review of a challenge on Muharemovic has triggered an automatic one-match suspension.

Read more:Barcelona offer for Julián Álvarez still stands – Joan Laporta

Claus’s decision has been widely criticised, with Pochettino saying it was “never a red card” and that the challenge was a result of a “normal action in football.”

Despite Pochettino’s anger at the decision to dismiss Balogun, Muharemovic did require lengthy on-field treatment after being caught by Balogun’s studs on his ankle and Achilles tendon.

The U.S. face Belgium in Seattle on Monday aiming to secure a place in the quarterfinals.

Read also
Football

Esther González joins Saudi club Al Qadsiah after Gotham FC departure

Football

Liverpool’s Andoni Iraola: Newcastle draw a ‘good step’ for Alexander Isak

Tags: #Canada #Fifa #Has #Mauricio pochettino #review #Seattle #Tarik muharemovic #Var

Journalist

From the same category
  • Esther González joins Saudi club Al Qadsiah after Gotham FC departure
  • Liverpool’s Andoni Iraola: Newcastle draw a ‘good step’ for Alexander Isak
  • Raphinha stars as Barcelona thump Elche to begin LaLiga title defence
  • Maresca: Man City ‘need different solutions’ after playing Guéhi in midfield vs. Bournemouth
  • Ogden questions whether Van Dijk should still be at Liverpool – ESPN Video
From the same tags
  • Esther González joins Saudi club Al Qadsiah after Gotham FC departure
  • Liverpool’s Andoni Iraola: Newcastle draw a ‘good step’ for Alexander Isak
  • Maresca: Man City ‘need different solutions’ after playing Guéhi in midfield vs. Bournemouth
  • Shelley Fabares, ‘Johnny Angel’ singer and actor in ‘The Donna Reed Show’ and ‘Coach,’ dies at 82
  • The 25 best NWSL players of 2026, re-ranked
Më të lexuarat — 48h
  1. 01
    Lifestyle Early Motown songwriter Janie Bradford Hobbs dies in Los Angeles after illness at age 87 2 lexime · 1 day ago
Similar articles
Football

Esther González joins Saudi club Al Qadsiah after Gotham FC departure

Spanish forward Esther González has signed with Al Qadsiah of the Saudi Women‘s Premier League less than a…

• 15 minutes ago • 2 min read
Football

Liverpool’s Andoni Iraola: Newcastle draw a ‘good step’ for Alexander Isak

NEWCASTLE, England — Liverpool head coach Andoni Iraola has described Alexander Isak‘s performance against Newcastle United as a…

• 45 minutes ago • 3 min read
Football

Raphinha stars as Barcelona thump Elche to begin LaLiga title defence

Barcelona began the defence of their LaLiga title with a thumping 5-0 win away against Elche at the…

• 45 minutes ago • 3 min read
VA-NEWS VA-NEWS

Modern portal of reliable, independent and multilingual news. Accurate information, every day.

  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • News
    • World
  • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Football
  • uncategorized
  • © 2026 VA News. Made with ♥ in Albania
    ⌂ Home ◷ Latest

    Powered by
    ►
    Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
    None
    ►
    Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
    None
    ►
    Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
    None
    ►
    Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
    None
    ►
    Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
    None
    Powered by