Kalo te përmbajtja
  • EN
  • SQ
  • IT
  • FR
  • ES
  • DE
  • EL
VA-NEWS VA-NEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Sport
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
LIVE
Navigation

VA-NEWS

  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Sport
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
Shortcuts
Home Latest
LIVE
Gjuha
  • EN
  • SQ
  • IT
  • FR
  • ES
  • DE
  • EL

Search news

  1. Kryefaqja
  2. Football
  3. Nigeria sack Madugu after WAFCON exit, World Cup miss
Football

Nigeria sack Madugu after WAFCON exit, World Cup miss

• August 17, 2026 • 5 min read
◉ WhatsApp 𝕏 X
News

The Nigeria Football Federation has dismissed Super Falcons coach Justine Madugu and the rest of his technical crew with immediate effect, just days after Nigeria failed to qualify for the FIFA Women‘s World Cup for the first time, and set up a task force to investigate the causes of the failure.

However, the federation is also facing questions over whether the leadership will survive long enough to reach the elections scheduled for September.

“The Executive Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation has asked members of the technical crew of the @NGSuper_Falcons to step down with immediate effect,” the federation announced Monday on social media.

The decision brings a dramatic end to Madugu’s tenure, barely a year after he led Nigeria to a record-extending 10th Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title and was named coach of the tournament by CAF. Madugu took charge of the Super Falcons on an interim basis in September 2024 following the resignation of American Randy Waldrum and went on to oversee their successful WAFCON campaign in Morocco the following year.

Read more:From ‘Nashville’ to ‘Remember the Titans,’ Hayden Panettiere’s notable roles and where to watch

But the fortunes of the African champions turned sharply at this year’s WAFCON, which doubled as Africa’s qualifying tournament for the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil.

Nigeria failed to reach the semifinals, missing out on one of Africa’s four automatic World Cup places, before losing 2-1 to South Africa in Thursday’s playoff for a place in the intercontinental playoffs. The defeat ended the Super Falcons’ record of qualifying for every Women’s World Cup since the inaugural tournament in 1991.

The NFF had already moved to investigate the failure, setting up a fact-finding committee Friday to examine what it described as the poor performances of Nigeria’s national teams, with particular attention to the Super Falcons’ World Cup elimination.

NFF president Ibrahim Gusau inaugurated the committee on Monday and gave it two weeks to submit its findings.

Read more:Nothing less than radical whole-system change is required to fix the NHS’s maternity services | Julia Sanders | The Guardian

“You are to probe into the direct and remote causes of the poor outings of the National Teams in recent times, but with specific reference to the unexpected failure of the Super Falcons to qualify for the World Cup,” Gusau said. “You will have two weeks to do the job and submit your report.

“We have composed this committee believing that you will come up with solutions to the present malaise, having played crucial roles in the Nigeria game in one way or the other for a very long time.”

The committee is chaired by former NFF general secretary Fanny Amun, who also coached Nigeria to the 1993 FIFA Under-17 World Cup title, and includes former Super Falcons captain Desire Oparanozie, former Super Eagles captain Mutiu Adepoju, Nigeria Football Coaches Association president Ladan Bosso and former FIFA referee Alex Mana.

Amun said the committee would speak to people connected with the problems and accept submissions from members of the public.

Read more:PSG 2-1 Aston Villa (Aug 12, 2026) Game Analysis – ESPN

“We see this as a call to a very important national duty,” Amun said. “It is not something that can be approached half-hearted. We have to immerse ourselves fully into the processes and come out with a report that all who have a stake in the Nigeria game will be proud of.”

The NFF, however, is facing growing pressure of its own.

Nigeria’s Guardian newspaper reported Saturday that officials of the National Sports Commission are considering asking President Bola Tinubu to approve a plan that could effectively halt next month’s NFF elections and replace the current administration with a normalisation committee for three months.

Read more:Chicago Stars fire coach Martin Sjögren, bring back Lorne Donaldson

The NFF elections are scheduled for Sept. 27 in Lafia, Nasarawa State, with the process already underway. The Guardian, citing an unnamed source, reported that the NSC had been inclined to allow Gusau to seek another term but that the series of qualification failures by Nigeria’s national teams had changed the thinking within government.

The newspaper also reported that, in order to forestall a FIFA suspension on grounds of third party interference, the NSC had briefed FIFA about the possibility of a normalisation committee and was seeking an opportunity to discuss the proposal with President Tinubu. No NSC official publicly confirmed the plan to The Guardian.

A senior NSC source confirmed the substance of The Guardian’s reporting to ESPN on Monday

“Although there is nothing official for now, this is not far from what the NSC and the government are looking to do,” the source said. “But the substance of the report is correct.”

Read more:Netherlands hire Xavi as coach through 2030 World Cup

Any move to install such a committee would require FIFA involvement and approval. Under Article 8.2 of the FIFA Statutes, the Bureau of the FIFA Council can appoint a normalisation committee to run the affairs of a member association in exceptional circumstances.

Such committees are typically appointed by FIFA in consultation with the relevant continental confederation, with members subjected to eligibility checks. FIFA and CAF, rather than a national government acting unilaterally, would therefore have to be involved in establishing a normalisation committee for the NFF.

FIFA has previously used normalisation committees in African associations including Congo DR, Guinea and Tunisia to run day-to-day affairs, address governance or electoral problems and ultimately organise elections.

Read also
Football

Wrexham thought ‘job done’ before Cardiff draw in EFL opener

Football

Doc details turmoil for Pep, players in Manchester City swoons

Tags: #Brazil #Fifa #Has #media #Social media #Will #Women #World Cup

Journalist

From the same category
  • Wrexham thought ‘job done’ before Cardiff draw in EFL opener
  • Doc details turmoil for Pep, players in Manchester City swoons
  • FIFA executive Kevin Lamour departs amid backlash over Infantino’s World Cup sale plan
  • Cardiff 1-1 Wrexham (Aug 17, 2026) Game Analysis – ESPN
  • Rodri arrives in Barcelona ahead of ‘dream’ move from Man City
From the same tags
  • Shoplifting crime wave?! Putting facial recognition technology everywhere will fix it | First Dog on the Moon | The Guardian
  • What legacy do we leave behind when we die? As Sam Neill taught me, it’s more about sweetness than ego | Clarke Gayford | The Guardian
  • How the far right is tightening its grip over the EU – from the inside | Alberto Alemanno | The Guardian
  • As Ebola kills thousands in DRC, a perfect storm is making the virus hard to stop | Devi Sridhar | The Guardian
  • Disabled creatives like me are behind many of your favourite shows – so why has our work support been withdrawn? | Annalisa Dinnella | The Guardian
Similar articles
Football

Wrexham thought ‘job done’ before Cardiff draw in EFL opener

Wrexham boss Phil Parkinson complained over the amount of added time after Rubin Colwill’s last-gasp free kick gave…

• 9 hours ago • 3 min read
Football

Doc details turmoil for Pep, players in Manchester City swoons

Pep Guardiola clashed with his captain and almost broke down in tears as he railed at players during…

• 9 hours ago • 3 min read
Football

FIFA executive Kevin Lamour departs amid backlash over Infantino’s World Cup sale plan

Kevin Lamour has left his role as FIFA‘s chief operating officer weeks after he claimed Gianni Infantino‘s controversial…

• 10 hours ago • 4 min read
VA-NEWS VA-NEWS

Modern portal of reliable, independent and multilingual news. Accurate information, every day.

  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • News
    • World
  • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Football
  • uncategorized
  • © 2026 VA News. Made with ♥ in Albania
    ⌂ Home ◷ Latest

    Powered by
    ►
    Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
    None
    ►
    Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
    None
    ►
    Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
    None
    ►
    Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
    None
    ►
    Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
    None
    Powered by